The Tidewater Emergency Medical Services (TEMS) Council, Inc., recognized members of its EMS community who were nominated for exemplifying exceptional service and dedication at the council's annual regional awards program and picnic held July 13, 2013, at the Virginia Zoo in Norfolk, Va. Ten EMS providers and agencies received trophies, service ribbons and certificates during the event. One high school senior received a $1000 scholarship for college or accredited advanced life support training.
"The picnic was open to all EMS and fire first responders, dispatchers, emergency department staffs and families from throughout the region," said Jim Chandler, executive director of the TEMS Council. "This event provided an opportunity for a large number of responders to see and meet our winners and for us to say 'thank you' to all of the responders and their families for the great job they do all year."
Recipients of this year's regional awards compete for the 2013 Governor's EMS Awards, which will be announced at the Virginia EMS Symposium's Annual Awards Ceremony, November 9, in Norfolk. Winners will be presented with a trophy and a certificate signed by the Governor.
"The Regional EMS Awards program gives each council the opportunity to showcase the remarkable acts of service demonstrated by their local EMS providers. Congratulations, and thank you, to this year's recipients who have proven their excellence by going above and beyond the call of duty," said Gary Brown, director of the Virginia Office of EMS.
The 2013 Tidewater EMS Council Regional Award Recipients:
- Excellence in Emergency Medical Services (Robertson C. Daily Award) - Judith A. Shuck, Mass Casualty Preparedness Coordinator, Hampton Roads Metropolitan Medical Response System
- Outstanding EMS Agency - Plaza Volunteer Rescue Squad (Virginia Beach)
- Physician with Outstanding Contribution to EMS (The Frank M. Yeiser, Jr. Award)- Frank Dos Santos, DO, Operational Medical Director for Navy Region Mid- Atlantic Fire & Emergency Services
- Outstanding Public Safety Telecommunications Officer – Kristine N. Benadum, Nightingale Regional Air Ambulance / Sentara Norfolk General Air Communications Specialist
- Outstanding Pre-Hospital Educator (The James M. Wagenbach Award) – Jason C. Ambrose, Tidewater Community College
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a Nurse – Margaret E. McCauley, Sentara Nightingale Air Ambulance
- Outstanding EMS Administrator (Bruce W. Edwards Award) - William K. Ginnow, Program Manager, Hampton Roads Metropolitan Medical Response System
- Outstanding EMS Provider - Melody L. Siff, Portsmouth Department of Fire, Rescue and Emergency Services
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS for Children - Jon D. Mason, MD, Attending Physician, Children's Hospital of King's Daughters Emergency Department
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a High School Senior ($1,000 Scholarship) - Colby K. Rountree, Southampton High School, Franklin Fire and Rescue and Boykins Volunteer Fire and Rescue
Download the press release: pdf Tidewater EMS Council 2013 Regional Award Winners press release
Thank you to primary 2013 TEMS picnic and awards program sponsor Gold Partner Bon Secours Virginia Emergency Services. View all of our event sponsors: TEMS Sponsors